According to student minister Bro. Dahveed Mohammed. . “Minister Malcolm has visited the region several times to visit the family of Ora-Lee X Lewis (Mc-Quiller). We now know her as Ora-Lee Khalid Lewis-Delgado. His brother, Bobby McQuiller, brought the teaching of the Right Honorable Elijah Muhammad to Lackawana NY in 1953, ”he told the Challenger in an interview in 2011.
According to Bro. Dahveed, sister. Ora-Lee also received letters and telephone correspondence directly from the Right Honorable Elijah Muhammad, who sent the Min. Malcolm in the area, in response to a large number of letters the Honorable Elijah Muhammad was receiving from the residents of Buffalo / Lackawanna, due to Bro’s work and efforts. Bobby McQuiller. Levi and Kathrine X Hawkins’ family, with their daughters Maryann, LuCinda and Carol, began studying with Bobby McQuiller in Lackawanna in 1954.
“Finally, Min. Malcolm moved the study group to Buffalo, to Sis. Ora-Lee’s house at 78 Brunswick Blvd. Dahveed. “From there he was transferred to Levi and Kathrine X Hawkins’ home at 44 Butler Ave. Min. Malcolm finally sent Min. Thomas J. X and his assistant Min. Robert J. X of Hartford CN in 1956 to further develop the Buffalo Study Group.
Min. Malcolm visited the homes at 78, boul. and 44
Butler Ave. several times to support the growing study group. The group eventually achieved mosque status and received its number 23 in 1957, under the leadership of Min. Robert J. X Williams.
A “Homage to the Pioneers” of Mosque # 23 several years ago includes a reading of copies of original letters of guidance and instruction written by Min. Malcolm to the ministers he has installed here. Min. Malcolm typed the letters and wrote handwritten notes in the margins.
The letters were on display at the event. There were also historical testimonies of Sis. Ora-Lee, brother. Donnelle X Oliver, Min. Robert J. and some of the other pioneers who were to be present. A slideshow presentation of a timeline of the Nation of Islam in Buffalo and entertainment provided by the Muhammad School of Music was also featured. Boyfriend. Dahveed has provided the following timeline of significant events and individuals from those early days. Photos are courtesy of some of the pioneers.
It all started in 1953
* Bobby McQuiller brought the teachings of the Right Honorable Elijah Muhammad to Lackawanna in 1953. Most of his siblings and family joined in the teaching of the Right Honorable Elijah Muhammad. The Mc-Quiller family becomes the first family of the Nation of Islam in the Lackawanna region.
* Minister Malcolm X visits the McQuiller House in Lackawana NY.
* Levi and Kathrine X Hawkins’ family started traveling to L
Lackawana in 1954 to study the teachings of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad at the McQuiller House. The family of Levi and Kathrine X Hawkin becomes the first family of the Nation of Islam in Buffalo. The Hawkins House at 44 Butler becomes the premier study group location in Buffalo.
* The Right Honorable Elijah Muhammad corresponds with Sis. Ora-Lee X Lewis (Mc-Quiller) by phone. Sister. Ora-Lee X Lewis (McQuiller) was appointed study group secretary in 1955.
* Minister Malcolm X travels to Buffalo / Lackawanna occasionally to visit the McQuiller family and the Hawkins family at 44 Butler St.
* Min. Malcolm X corresponded with the McQuiller family and the Hawkins family.
* Min. Farrakhan’s brother; Alvin X regularly comes to the region to teach.
* Malcolm X advises that the study group be moved to Buffalo. * Min. Malcolm X sends Min. Thomas JX and Robert JX at Buffalo from Hartford CN as Minister and Deputy Minister in October 1956.
* Minister Malcolm X along with Thomas J. X and Robert J. X visited the study group at 44 Butler Street in 1956.
* Min. Malcolm X sends Min. Thomas J. X returned to Hartford CN in January 1957. Min. Robert J. X remains in Buffalo as Minister; John B. X is its captain.
* The Buffalo Study Group moves to a new location in Woodlawn and Jefferson upstairs.
* The study group continues to grow and becomes Temple # 23, receiving its number in 1957. * Minister John B. X becomes Temple Minister Muhammad # 23.
* The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan sends Bro. Dennis Muhammad in Buffalo NY in 1982 to restore the teaching of the Right Honorable Elijah Muhammad.
*Boyfriend. Dennis takes over the Buffalo study group after meeting Sister Shirley A. X Gadley (Muhammad), who introduced him to Sis. Florine, fr. Sandy, Sis Catherine, and a host of other Muslim followers of the Right Honorable Elijah Muhammad
* The study group begins to meet at Bro. Sandy and sister. Catherine’s house on Wyoming Street in Buffalo NY. In 1982, the Muhammad StudyGroup moved its meetings to Harambee Books and Crafts (now Zawadi Books) then located on Main and Utica
* Minister Abdul Halim Muhammad was appointed Minister in 1985.
* The study group moves its meetings to a storefront on E. Ferry and Cornwall Ave. and moved to E. Ferry and Goodyear shortly thereafter.